Friday, January 13, 2017

MUSIC AS LITERATURE

Music is literature. It is a whole other genre of literature. It is a branch which in itself has other branches. Music tells us a story. Maybe the composer was feeling strong emotions when he wrote the song so the song is that much stronger. I love hearing stories in my music. Rap is something that really can tell a story because of the way it is structured. There is "bars" or lines. I have listened to Kendrick Lamar's Good kid Maad City multiple times because of the story. The music paints a good story of a young Kendrick Lamar being exposed to the streets. I have listened to other "concept" albums but I feel Kendrick did such a perfect job with that album. Other genres of music tell music in another way. Symphonies is a collection of instruments being put together. It shows how these instruments were put together and how they sound. Music is great literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment