Monday, September 19, 2016

Vocab #4

adroit- nimble in the hands or body
He seemed very adroit in the way he handled the surgical tools.
amicable- showing goodwill being friendly
I felt he was too amicable to the other kids.
averse- having a strong feeling of opposition
Vegans are very averse to anything animal related.
belligerent- warlike character
Genghis Khan was so belligerent that nobody liked to meet him.
benevolent- showing goodwill to others.
I like the way she was so benevolent to everyone she met.
cursory- going rapidly over something
If you are cursory in bomb detonating, you might go out in a bang.
duplicity- deceit in speech or conduct
I hated that I could sense her duplicity in her voice.
extol- to praise highly
I had great extol to the great Steve Prefontaine.
feasible- capable of being done
I knew all my goals in life were feasible.
grimace- a facial expression that indicates pain
I grimaced through the pain that came with running.
holocaust- a great complete devastation or destruction
The fire caused a great holocaust across the land.
impervious- not permitting passage or penetration.
The hazmat suits were impervious to anything.
impetus- a moving force or stimulus
 I had an impetus to accomplish all my current goals after the motivational seminar.
jeopardy- hazard or risk of loss or death
As soon I climbed the big tree, I knew I was in jeopardy when I saw how high I was.
meticulous- taking or showing extreme care
I am very meticulous about my phone because I bought it.
nostalgia- a wistful to return to a happy time
I always get nostalgic looking at family photos.
quintessence- the pure and concentrated essence of a ting.
Michael Phelps is the quintessence of swimming.
retrogress- to go backward into an earlier and usually worse condition
I hope my hairline never retrogresses.
scrutinize- to examine in detail with critical attention.
I sometimes scrutinize over the simplest assignments,
tepid- moderately warm
If only the ocean was tepid I would be able to enjoy it.

1 comment: